Eye-Healthy Turkey Burgers With Roasted Orange Peppers Recipe
These healthy turkey burgers will turn your weekend barbeque into an eye-healthy feast! Turkey is high in zinc, and the orange peppers and green onion will provide your eyes with lutein and zeaxanthin.
For a lighter version, omit the whole-wheat buns and enjoy your turkey burger wrapped in lettuce leaves.
Turkey Burgers with Roasted Orange Peppers (serves 4)
1 lb ground turkey (extra-lean) 1 egg 1/2 cup green onion, chopped 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs or oat bran 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley salt and pepper
Toppings: 2 orange peppers 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard (grainy) leaf lettuce
4 whole-wheat burger buns
Caramelized Onions (optional): 2 yellow onions olive oil
- Mix all ingredients for the burgers. Shape into four patties. Place each patty on a square of parchment paper, and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the grill to high. Put the peppers on the grill, turning until charred on all sides. Remove them from the grill and place in a paper bag. Close the bag tightly and let cool for about 10 minutes. The steam will help separate the skin from the peppers so they are easier to peel.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, and working over a bowl to collect the juices, peel the peppers. Cut in wedges and remove the stems, seeds and white membranes.
- Set aside roasted pepper wedges. Mix 1 tablespoon pepper juice (that you collected while peeling the peppers) with 3 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard.
- Holding onto the parchment paper, flip turkey patties on the grill and cook on each side, until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees (as recommended by the FDA).
- When patties are almost ready, toast outside of burger buns on the grill.
- To assemble burger, spread the mustard mix on both sides of the buns. Add roasted pepper wedges. Layer the patty next. Top with leaf lettuce.
- Optional: Prepare caramelized onions ahead of time: Cook thinly sliced yellow onions over low heat in olive oil for about 20 minutes, or until very tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy with coleslaw enriched with kale.
Page updated July 2016