Millions of people are functionally blind simply because they don't have eyeglasses.
Yet in some developing countries, an eye exam and glasses can be provided for just $5.
Optometry Giving Sight is the only global fundraising initiative specifically targeting the elimination of blindness and impaired vision due to "uncorrected refractive error" — that is, nearsightedness or farsightedness that is uncorrected simply because individuals don't have access to vision care and glasses.
Consider the following
- While uncorrected vision is one of the world's leading causes of preventable blindness, it is also the most treatable.
- 670 million people are needlessly blind or vision impaired simply because they lack access to the glasses or eye care they need.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) states that blindness prevention and vision correction rank with immunizations among the most cost effective of all health interventions.
- Sight can make the difference between a life of poverty and a life of opportunity. By enabling someone to see clearly for the first time, their chances of living a less isolated and more fulfilling life are vastly increased. Children who can see the writing on a chalkboard now have the opportunity to get a proper education. Adults can find jobs that allow them to provide for not only themselves, but also their families.
- Through programs funded by Optometry Giving Sight, it can cost as little as $5 to provide an individual in the developing world with an eye examination and a pair of glasses. In many of these locales, there is simply no existing infrastructure to provide eye exams and eyeglasses.
- Optometry Giving Sight is proud to be a global partner in Our Children's Vision. Our Children's Vision is an initiative working to ensure that effective, inclusive, sustainable eye health initiatives are available to children around the world, regardless of their economic status or geographical location. Learn how you can help.
It would be challenging to find another cause where your charitable dollar can be so impactful.
Giving Sight to Millions
Optometry Giving Sight supports programs that not only offer eye exams and glasses, but also establish vision centers and train local eye care professionals in communities with little or no access to eye care services.
- READ about more lives that have been transformed through the gift of vision
- MAKE a donation
- VISIT the Optometry Giving Sight website to learn more
Optometry Giving Sight
1019 8th Street, Suite 304
Golden, Colorado 80401