How To Handle
Contact Lens Discomfort
Ever feel like something's not quite right with your contact lenses? If so, you're not alone.
But there's no reason to stop wearing contacts, or to suffer in silence. It's likely that a simple change to your lenses, care products or daily habits will make you much more comfortable.
To accurately determine the specific causes of your contact lens discomfort and appropriate remedies, you need to see your optometrist or ophthalmologist. A visit to your eye doctor also will rule out the possibility that your discomfort indicates a more serious underlying problem.
Remember: If your eyes don't feel good, look good, or see well, you need a checkup by an eye care professional. Sometimes a minor contact lens irritation, if left untreated, can develop into a more serious problem occasionally one that can be sight-threatening.
- Have questions about dry eye? Submit them to our dry eye expert or find answers to previously submitted questions
- Learn about Lobob allergy-free lens care for RGP/hard and soft contact lenses
- This useful, one-stop guide takes you through the LASIK experience before, during and after surgery
- Find out about OCuSOFT's preservative-free one-step lens care system
For helpful tips on how to handle uncomfortable contact lenses, choose a statement below or go directly to Remedies for Contact Lens Discomfort.
- My eyes are red, painful, swollen and/or produce discharge.
- My eyes burn when I put in my lenses.
- When I wear contacts, I always feel like something's in my eye.
- I smoke and/or drink a lot of coffee or alchohol.
- I'm taking over-the-counter or prescription medications.
- When wearing contacts, my eyes occasionally feel dry.
- I can't wear my contacts as long each day as I'd like.
- I have allergies.
- I have other medical problems.
- I don't follow my doctor's contact lens care instructions.
- I spend time in dry or dusty environments.
- I use my computer a lot.
[Page updated February 2013]
For more Contact Lenses articles, please visit this section's home page or use the search box below.