Eye-Healthy Turkey Burgers With Roasted Orange Peppers Recipe
See also: Chicken chopped salad • Deli-style kale salad • Infused water • Niagara springtime soup sippers • Orange pepper, spinach and sundried tomato frittata • Pumpkin mousse • Roasted salmon with melon salsa • Sunset gazpacho • Tangy carrot salad • Tropical post-run smoothie
These healthy turkey burgers will turn your weekend barbeque into an eye-healthy feast! Turkey is high in zinc, and the orange peppers and green onion will provide your eyes with lutein and zeaxanthin.
Recommended For You
For a lighter version, omit the whole-wheat buns and enjoy your turkey burger wrapped in lettuce leaves.
Turkey Burgers with Roasted Orange Peppers
1 lb ground turkey (extra-lean)
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs or oat bran
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper
2 orange peppers
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard (grainy)
4 whole-wheat burger buns
Caramelized Onions (optional):
2 yellow onions
- Mix all ingredients for the burgers. Shape into four patties. Place each patty on a square of parchment paper, and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the grill to high. Put the peppers on the grill, turning until charred on all sides. Remove them from the grill and place in a paper bag. Close the bag tightly and let cool for about 10 minutes. The steam will help separate the skin from the peppers so they are easier to peel.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, and working over a bowl to collect the juices, peel the peppers. Cut in wedges and remove the stems, seeds and white membranes.
- Set aside roasted pepper wedges. Mix 1 tablespoon pepper juice (that you collected while peeling the peppers) with 3 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard.
- Holding onto the parchment paper, flip turkey patties on the grill and cook on each side, until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees (as recommended by the FDA).
- When patties are almost ready, toast outside of burger buns on the grill.
- To assemble burger, spread the mustard mix on both sides of the buns. Add roasted pepper wedges. Layer the patty next. Top with leaf lettuce.
- Optional: Prepare caramelized onions ahead of time: Cook thinly sliced yellow onions over low heat in olive oil for about 20 minutes, or until very tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy with coleslaw enriched with kale.
[Page updated July 2016]