Eye-Healthy Pumpkin Mousse Recipe
See also: Chicken chopped salad • Deli-style kale salad • Infused water • Niagara springtime soup sippers • Orange pepper, spinach and sundried tomato frittata • Roasted salmon with melon salsa • Sunset gazpacho • Tangy carrot salad • Tropical post-run smoothie • Turkey burgers with roasted orange peppers
This fall, trade your traditional pumpkin pie for this lighter dessert. Filled with beta-carotene, it will nourish your eyes and satisfy your sweet tooth.
1 cup pumpkin puree from can (240g)
1/2 cup plain 0% or 2% fat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 envelope gelatin
1/4 cup whipping cream, very cold
zest of one orange
1/2 tsp mixed spice (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger)
- Put medium bowl in freezer.
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin and yogurt, using a whisk.
- Sprinkle gelatin on orange juice and let sit for about three minutes, just enough time to get maple syrup ready.
- Bring maple syrup to a boil on medium-high heat in a small sauce pan, stirring constantly.
- Pour boiling maple syrup over orange juice and stir until gelatin has melted.
- Pour maple syrup mix into pumpkin preparation and mix well, using a whisk.
- Add orange zest and spices; stir to combine.
- In chilled bowl, whip cream to firm peaks, using a hand mixer.
- Use your mixer to whip pumpkin mix for about one minute.
- Fold whipped cream gently into pumpkin mix, using a spatula.
- Ladle into serving cups and chill in the refrigerator for two to three hours, until set.
Recommended For You
[Page updated July 2016]