Millions of people are functionally blind simply because they don't have eyeglasses.
Yet in some developing countries, an eye exam and glasses can be provided for just $5.
Optometry Giving Sight is the only global fundraising initiative specifically targeting the elimination of blindness and impaired vision due to "uncorrected refractive error" that is, nearsightedness or farsightedness that is uncorrected simply because individuals don't have access to vision care and glasses.
Consider the following:
- While uncorrected vision is one of the world's leading causes of preventable blindness, it is also the most treatable.
- 670 million people are needlessly blind or vision impaired simply because they lack access to the glasses or eye care they need.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) states that blindness prevention and vision correction rank with immunizations among the most cost effective of all health interventions.
- Sight can make the difference between a life of poverty and a life of opportunity. By enabling someone to see clearly for the first time, their chances of living a less isolated and more fulfilling life are vastly increased. Children who can see the writing on a chalkboard now have the opportunity to get a proper education. Adults can find jobs that allow them to provide for not only themselves, but also their families.
- Through programs funded by Optometry Giving Sight, it can cost as little as $5 to provide an individual in the developing world with an eye examination and a pair of glasses. In many of these locales, there is simply no existing infrastructure to provide eye exams and eyeglasses.
- Optometry Giving Sight is proud to be a global partner in Our Children's Vision. Our Children's Vision is an initiative working to ensure that effective, inclusive, sustainable eye health initiatives are available to children around the world, regardless of their economic status or geographical location. Learn how you can help.
It would be challenging to find another cause where your charitable dollar can be so impactful.
Giving Sight to Millions
Optometry Giving Sight supports programs that not only offer eye exams and glasses, but also establish vision centers and train local eye care professionals in communities with little or no access to eye care services.
Initially 12-year-old Omar was nervous about receiving his first eye exam, but now he's glad he did! After attending a vision screening at his government-run school, Omar received his first pair of glasses, and it changed his life. He can now see clearly in the classroom and on the cricket field. Read more...
Sokunvortey, 15, attends high school a short distance from Phnom Penh, Cambodia. One day, she noticed that she couldn't see her teacher's whiteboard clearly. She kept her vision problem from her parents, who work long hours, because she didn't want to worry them. But everything changed when she attended a free vision screening. Read more...
Mrs. Liyanage is the sole caretaker of her ailing husband. Her eyesight, which began causing her problems, is an important part of ensuring her family has food. In a transforming moment, Mrs. Liyanage had her eyes tested and was fitted with a pair of glasses. Read more...
Optometry Giving Sight
1019 8th Street, Suite 304
Golden, Colorado 80401